Tuesday, October 5, 2010

She told me to journal..

I called my Deaf professor, Deb, today and we talked for a bit.  She told me that while I'm here I should journal all of my experiences and hand them into the office at Goshen.  See, Goshen still doesn't seem to understand that this is much more than a language experience and much more of a culture experience. 
I told her that I've sort of already been doing this through blogging, but it's pretty hard to summarize what I'm experiencing and seeing here.  I'm still trying to take it all in and sit on it, trying to understand whats really going on.

Recently, I've really noticed how restless I am and how not so restless the Deaf community is.  Every night I go to dinner and yea, I like to hang out for awhile and catch up with people..but Deaf people, WHOAH, they know how to catch up.  I almost spent two hours in the cafeteria tonight just talking and eating with people.  Their culture is constantly about informing each other about the day and just talking.  I've never felt this compelled to talk this much in everyday conversation.  It challenges me on a daily basis and makes me ask more questions and dig deeper into who people are.  It's super exciting.

Okay.  I'm going to stop there..for today...I still have so many more thoughts to process....

No comments: