Monday, February 13, 2012

The Update!

 Today was a beautiful day!  I woke up early, tutored Deaf kids at Fitzgerald Middle School, went to an OBGYN interpreting assignment and then came home to prepare dinner.  Spending time with my family meant so much to me, especially because those opportunities seem so few and far between.
A few weeks ago, I was in the middle of driving around to different assignments and had a few hours between my next assignment.  I thought I would stop by my Aunt Jessica's house but instead was interrupted with rude company: a flat tire.  It was a scary, frustrating, I wanted-to-kick-the-car-moment...but my Aunt helped me see it through and I got to my last assignment with just a few minutes to spare.  Ugh, cars.  



 A recent goal I've had, is to make it a point to be outside for at least an hour everyday.  Unfortunately, I don't make it to the beach as much as I want to but sometimes it's about sitting on the porch and reading or taking a bike ride around the block....


Two weekends ago the Deaf Literacy program at Safety Harbor Library put together a Deaf Poetry night.  This was such an awesome opportunity for Deaf students to put together their own expressions, using ASL as their medium.  Peter Cook, a famous Deaf Poet and comedian opened the show with a few of his famous stories.  This was such good exposure to Deaf culture...especially for my Grandparents : )  My grandma learned how to clap in ASL and how to sign "fart"...my grandpa on the other hand said he'll just keep his hands to his side in fear that he'll sign something offensive.


Yesterday, I spent the day with my Uncle Rick's side of the family... this baby, Nicole, was anything but camera-shy.



 It was Rebecca's birthday and we spent the whole day drinkin' tea, eatin some grilled food and hangin out with family.  It's so cool to reconnect with family and see what's going on in their lives now.  That's been a huge positive part of my stay here.
 





The "opposing" grandma's uniting

No comments: