Monday, January 30, 2012

The Eventful Weekend


This past weekend was the busiest of them all!  I started off Friday evening by heading to Safety Harbor library to go to Deaf poetry night.  This is a time that Deaf kids come to practice their poems, ABC stories and "I have a dream" statements.  Although I'm not one actually creating stories, I get to be there to observe and what I have seen so far is absolutely amazing.  If you would like to come to this event they are performing this Saturday along side of a famous Deaf poet and comedian Peter Cook.  It will be at Crosspoint church, 7:00-8:30.  Tickets are $5.

After Deaf poetry was over, a new friend that I have acquired and I went to a place called "The Venue".  There was a sushi bar, a few different bars, live music and a second floor all under one roof.  It was pretty sweet. Alyssa and I talked for awhile over a shared a sushi roll and delicious edamame.  When we were done eating we decided to check out the dance scene and didn't see much activity going on.  As the night picked up, I found that Alyssa hated dancing!! Which was such a shock because she is a very talkative person (and also a disappointment because I LOVE dancing).  So I sat with her and we watched other people make fools of themselves instead : )  Before we left that night two guys approached us and asked if we would dance.  I forced her to do it just to be spontaneous and she finally did.  As the two guys realized Alyssa was Deaf they were instantly intrigued.  They gave the usual, "oh my gosh..you know sign language?".."so is she Deaf?" and one guy even said, "I have a friend that is in a wheelchair... she has scoliosis"... I still haven't figured out the connection on that one.  Maybe he was nervous.   





The next day I went to the Farmer's Market in downtown St. Pete with Rebecca & Roy.  It was so great!  I bought a hat, a coconut ring and a few avacados.  There was so much cool art and everyone had so many creative ideas up their sleeve.  One woman who had "paper art" that focused on the uses and decoration of using paper (origami's, journals...), another vendor was an artist who used wood to carve out jewelry pieces... It was so cool to see what people had.


Before we left we watched the band at the market play.  People were gettin crazy!  This minute will be worth your time... (hint: old woman to the left, baton twirler to the right, miss legs takin over the dance floor..)


We left the market and Rebecca brought me to the Dali Museum.  Wow.  I was just blown away.  Have you seen the art with the melting clocks?... that's him



 (outside of the museum : ))












The next day I spent at Deaf church (Calvary Baptist) and then went to lunch with Alyssa's family.  They are all Deaf and all so much fun! They're very understanding when I don't understand what they're talking about or just giving me insight on what's up here in the area. I am lucky to have found them and I look forward to spending more time with them through these next few months.  

No comments: